Thursday, June 4, 2009

"Wait...What?" - Rix Lounge

It happens to the best of us. No matter how many times we visit, no matter how many websites, magazines, and travel guides we read, no matter how much information we think we have at our disposal, every once in awhile we learn something new about Walt Disney World. This new feature is intended to point out whenever such moments take place.

This morning I had one of those moments.

As I was checking the Orlando Sentinel's coverage of Gay Days, the annual event that brings the gay community to Orlando in red shirted mass, I came across mention of a private event at Rix Lounge at Coronado Springs. Rix, the article went on to point out, is an "upscale nightspot."

WAIT...WHAT?

I went on to investigate via a Google search and came across the venue's official (and very un-Disney) website. Hold on a second? Is this Disney World or Atlantic City?

Apparently, and I promise you that I had no prior knowledge of this, Disney World has an ultra lounge. An ultra lounge, for the unenlightened, is a combination bar/nightclub/lounge that is all the rage in Vegas. The general idea is that you get the pulsating DJ music and hip crowd without having to be crammed onto a dance floor and with the benefit of tables, couches, more upscale bar choices, and, more often than not, "bottle service" to a private VIP table if you choose to reserve one. Rix Lounge also serves food if you so desire.

From what I can tell, Rix is similar to what you might expect to find at a traditional ultra lounge only a bit more toned down and geared towards the conventioneers at Coronado Springs. I don't know for sure because I've obviously never been there...but, believe me, I will be.

An ultra lounge at Disney World. How about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment