One holiday tradition that, sadly, will not be continuing is the Lights of Winter at Epcot. WDW Magic reports that cast members were told of its discontinuation this week, citing obsolete technology. Disney Parks confirmed this on their Twitter page. Somehow those lights are obsolete but the Electrical Water Pagent continues to operate. Sigh.
The Festival of the Masters opens at Downtown Disney on Friday. Orlando Attractions Magazine has coverage.
The Orlando Sentinel reports that The Polar Express Experience will open on Friday at SeaWorld.
Orlando Attractions Magazine has coverage of the opening of the LittleMissMatched store at Downtown Disney this week.
Space Mountain may be open by the time you read this. Soft openings are in the work and we've got the latest pictures from WDW Magic here and here, and queue pictures from Orlando Attractions Magazine.
Meanwhile, the nearby Skyway bathrooms are back open. WDW Magic has pictures of that.
WDW Magic has an update on some minor refurbs at the Studios. It seems the Backlot entrance tram has returned. I didn't know it was gone (honestly I didn't know it existed in the first place, but I'm just trying to act in the loop.) Meanwhile the Muppets fountain is walled off for a quick refurb.
Refurbishment continues at the following Walt Disney World locations:
- Space Mountain is closed until late November for an extensive refurbishment. The nearby arcade will also be closed during this time. The Tomorrowland Transit Authority may operate on limited hours during the Space Mountain refurbishment.
- Sounds Dangerous is under "seasonal operation" and is currently closed.
- Typhoon Lagoon is currently closed for it's annual winter refurbishment.
- The Friar's Nook at the Magic Kingdom is under "on-demand operation" and will only open when crowds necessitate.
- At Disney's Port Orleans Resort, The Doubloon Lagoon Pool slide is closed until November 20 at French Quarter. NOTE: This is only the SLIDE that is closed. The pool remains open.
- At Disney's Pop Century Resort, the 1950's Bowling Pin Pool is closed until November 20.
- The Palm, Magnolia, and Oak Trail golf courses are closed until November 16 for the Children's Miracle Network Classic.
- Splash Mountain will be closed for refurbishment January 3 to February 27, 2010.
- Blizzard Beach will close for it's winter refurbishment January 10.
- The Magic Carpets of Aladdin will be closed for refurbishment December 6-19.
- The Crystal Palace restaurant at the Magic Kingdom will be closed for refurbishment January 3 to February 13, 2010.
- The entire Uzima pool area at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge will be closed from January 4-29, 2010. The pool at Kidani Villiage will remain open during this time.
- The entire Luna Park pool complex at Disney's Boardwalk Inn will be closed for refurbishment January 18 to February 5, 2010. The resort's quiet pools will remain open during this time and shuttle service to Stormalong Bay at the Yacht & Beach Club will be available to guests.
- The following Walt Disney World Resort Golf Courses will be closed on the dates noted: Oak Trail (11/17-22) and Palm (11/24-12/3).
Feel free to re-post anything from WDWorld Traveler but please link back to http://wdwtraveler.blogspot.com